we’re juicin… and I hope you like juicin too…
(Please excuse the Bob Marley kitchen-remix)
It’s the unofficial start of summer this weekend and I’m shocked at what I see in my inbox:
“Quick! You’ve got 72 hrs to get it together!”
From email chains, g-chats, facebook postings, and online advertisers the world around seems to have gone crazy for cleansing.
Friends and family are in holistic hyperdrive, and I can’t say I blame them. It’s been a rather short and unfulfilling spring, and this summer seems to have crept up on all of us. But not to worry! I’ve got some emergen-c solutions coming your way.
|Stiir it up|
5 out of 7 mornings I start the day with a sweet and savory burst of cold pressed fruit and vegetable juice that’s sure to convert any cleanse-cynic among you.
This recipe makes enough for two milkshake size glasses. I drink one glass in the morning and save the second for a late afternoon snack, or use it to make two uber-delicious cocktails (stay tuned as that recipe is coming soon).
The Green Monster
1/2 organic English (seedless) cucumber
2 large organic oranges
2 organic apples (I like mixes apples using 1 Macintosh, Fuji, or Braeburn)
1 large organic lemon (or two small) *in winter I use organic Meyer lemons for a sweeter flavor
2 handfuls organic spinach
Equipment: juicer, I use a Breville Juice Fountain Elite
1. Wash all fruit and vegetables thoroughly.
2. Remove rind from oranges and lemon as the juicer cannot cut through the tough outer skin
3. Cut apples in quarters, and oranges in half to fit the size of the juicer chute.
4. With the juicer on high, process all ingredients into a covered jug large enough to hold 30 fl oz (900ml)
5. Remove jug lid and stir juice to combine. Pour half of the juice into a tall glass and drink as close to immediately as possible. Store remaining juice, covered with an airtight lid or plastic wrap, in the fridge.
For maximum benefits and taste drink within 12 hours.